Our mission is to partner with ex-offenders in finding new paths to making a living and living with purpose.
Compass 180, Hennepin’s Prison Re-Entry Ministry, is not just about making meaningful change. It is about reconnecting to dreams. It is about finding paths to get you where you want to be. It is about fostering entrepreneurial discovery.
Ex-offenders need jobs, education and housing to succeed. Even more critical they need someone who cares and believes they can succeed. They need a mentor.
The ability to support themselves and their families financially is a challenge. Lack of necessary skills, a minimal support network and a society reluctant to forgive make it a difficult task. Current economic times with it’s job loss and demand for resources have made this exceptionally hard and seeming hopeless. Compass 180 is about healing and hope. By this very act of healing we too are healed.
Compass180 – the Prison Ministry at Hennepin Church – will resume taking applications for new partners in early 2016.
Compass 180 is a program to partner with ex-offenders in finding new paths to making a living and living with purpose. A key to making meaningful change is having the ability to support themselves and their families. It is about reconnecting to dreams and visions of where you want to be. It is about fostering entrepreneurial discovery.
- All Compass 180 Scholarships for ex-offenders are grants of $1000.00
- The ex-offender has to be in a mentoring or coaching relationship that can be verified.
- The participant has to have a vision for the future. This can be an idea of entrepreneurial creation or a specific career path.
- The Compass 180 Advisory Council makes the selections for each class of participants.
- The participant agrees to attend and complete a series of 4 workshops. These workshops are designed to help with business and career skills. Each participant will write and action plan detailing the specific way the scholarship dollars will be used. As approved, a check is made out to facilitate the plan. NO cash is given directly to a participant.
We are taking applications now for future classes of recipients.
Applications may be submitted by mail to:
Hennepin Ave. United Methodist Church
511 Groveland Ave.
Minneapolis, MN 55403
Questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and they will be forwarded to the Compass 180 Advisory Council.
As of December 2015, Compass 180 has awarded 36 individual scholarships. Stay tuned for success stories to hear about some of their journeys of discovery.